ewe spinster

A chemist's journey thru the land of fiber.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

owl package for gumshoegal

Here's a 'behind the scenes' look at the making of the owl personal swap package for gumshoegal!



My swap partner was so kind to offer me a personal swap (as I am a craftster newbie, and thereby not eligible for swaps). Gumshoegal requested an orange tote with owlage, and a pair of fingerless gloves. I knew that somehow I could work the owl into the gloves, and lo and behold, I found a little owl cable-work dishcloth pattern. It took me about 30minutes to wrangle the owl pattern from the rest of the stockinette dishcloth nightmare, and turn it into a usable chart (will post later) that can be used for straight OR circular knitting!


The fingerless gloves came with me on my business trip to Salt Lake City, and I couldn't resist taking photos of them (in progress) with some of the local sites...

Here's the left glove with the flag from the Winter Olympic Games!


And here with the SLC temple:






The votive holder was sand-blasted during the wee hours of the morning (before work actually began). Thanks to the welders who gave me the little ladder so I could actually see into the sand-blaster while I was working ;)




The coin purse was made from a scrap of Pendleton blanket, the inspiration for this design being from one of my favorite owls, the Spedis owl from rock art on the Columbia river. I cannot tell you how thrilled I was to find a remnant from this blanket at the Pendleton Annex! This made my owllie year!




Most of the designs were inspired by the 'buba' jewelry designs of Lea Stein. This can be seen in the orange tote, the magnet, and the pendant.




I can't wait to receive from gumshoegal !!!

3 Comments:

At 9:00 AM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! I'm impressed with the amount of stuff you managed to wrangle up for the swap. Kudos. By the way, I have a bunch of stuff you left over from the spinning demo...so I need to get that back to you ^_^.

 
At 10:21 AM PST, Blogger LavenderSheep said...

Here's a cute little owl:
http://belladia.typepad.com/bella_dia/2006/11/one_inch_owl.html

 
At 5:02 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Heck! you have the Owl Chart? I'd been knitting those washcloths from the online pattern...and now it has disappeared. PLEASE post the chart for me! You can save my Christmas :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home